If two lovers look into each other’s eyes for a period of three minutes or more, it is very likely that they will be able to synchronize their heartbeats. How about? We tell you more curiosities about the courtship.
The first of the courtship’s curiosities is that it is a contemporary bond. It is estimated that what we consider normal today did not acquire this status until the 20s and 30s of the 20th century. In fact, there are several places in the world where a type of relationship like this is not understood.
Until then, boyfriend or girlfriend was the name given to the “fiancé” or “fiancée,” that is, to that person with whom he married. Outside of this framework, one could only speak of lovers or adventures. There was no transitional space between friendship and marriage.
Even what today could be dating curiosities, such as starting in childhood, was the norm in many cultures not many decades ago. Today it continues to be so in specific communities. Let’s see some curious facts about this “new” form of relationship.
” Where love reigns, laws are superfluous .”Read:Lack Of Social Skills In Adults: Its Effects And How To Deal With It
Dating curiosities in the past
Before the 20th century, it did not exist in courtship in the sense that we know it today. That is, as a romantic relationship between a couple that may or may not lead to a more formal commitment. The usual thing is that the parents arranged the marriage, and from then on, those who were going to marry would be considered “boyfriends,” even if they did not know each other.
If the couple knew each other before the marriage, there were a whole series of restrictions for that relationship before signing it before the altar. The curiosities of the courtship at that time have to do with visits in the presence of the parents and always for a limited time.
In dance, the bride and groom could only dance with her parents’ permission and as long as they did not have any type of physical contact, except that of rubbing the tips of their fingers during those formal dances. Anyway, there were pregnancies before marriage. The solution to advance the ceremony and bring “premature children” to the world.Read:social isolation in teens: What to Do When your Kids don’t Leave Their Rooms
Various types of courtship
Among the courtship’s curiosities, we find some that were common during the two great world wars. One of them was the “engagement by the letter.” It was common when a young man went to war; before leaving, he declared his love to a girl and then corresponded with her during that excruciating experience. Last-minute marriages were also common.
In some Latin American countries, the figure of a character called “reasoner” became popular. This was someone who was in charge of carrying and bringing love messages when two young people attracted each other. In general, they agreed on the way, time, and place for the boy to ask his father for the girl’s hand by this particular means.
In the past, dating by portrait was also relatively common. Although the marriage was agreed upon by the parents, those involved were asked to accept the engagement based on the other’s portrait. From then on they wrote to each other and sometimes even got to know each other before getting married.
Love and lovers
Today many dating curiosities are the result of studies and experiments. Some of the striking data are the following:Read:Why children’s respect for their parents is important
- Based on the available data, it takes six to eight weeks for most men and women dating to consider that they are dating.
- Most breakups occur between three and five months after starting the relationship.
- In 4 out of 10 workplaces, courtships are formed. In recent decades, the number of people who find a partner in the work world continues to increase.
- It is estimated that the first judgment on whether someone is a potential mate only takes three seconds. Of course, after this first categorization, I could change.
- When two people meet and attract each other, the expectation of starting a relationship is fully alive within the next two to four days. Less time is often interpreted as anxiety; more like disinterest.
- Considering all parts of the globe, it seems that a third of women, or 33.33%, expect the man to be the family’s economic supporter.
- The four most frequently invoked factors as reasons for ending a relationship are frequent criticism of the partner, sarcastic contempt, inability to recognize mistakes, and the law of ice to handle problems.
In general, courtship is a dynamic stage in which affection and trust are forged, pillars on which subsequent commitments will be based. In its different forms, it constitutes a commitment to love, understanding, and the possibility of building the foundations for a life as a couple.