In addition to taking advantage of natural aromas, we can use essential oils to benefit from their properties. Citrus fruits, for example, may help improve mood.
Did you know that you can prepare your own natural and homemade perfumes with plants, flowers, and fruits? In addition to their delicious aromas, these essences will surprise you because they are also attributed to beneficial health properties.
Discover three types of natural perfumes in this article and choose your favorite: floral waters, essential oils, or citrus perfume.
What are the natural perfumes with beneficial properties?
The floral waters
Have you heard of floral waters? The best known are rose, witch hazel, or orange blossom. They are generally sold as facial toners to refresh and firm the skin before applying the moisturizer.
However, since they are distilled or macerated waters with flower petals, they also give off delicious aromas that make them soft natural perfumes.
You can buy them in herbalists or natural cosmetics stores or prepare them yourself at home.Read:The amygdala, sentinel of our emotional brain
- 96-degree alcohol.
- Petals of your choice flower: rose, jasmine, witch hazel, orange blossom, etc.
- A glass bottle that can be hermetically closed.
- First, cut the flower petals into small pieces with scissors’ help and introduce them into the glass jar.
- You should fill the container three-quarters full with them.
- Fill the jar with the alcohol until it covers them completely.
- Afterward, leave the jar tightly closed and in a dark place for three to four weeks.
- Every day or every other day, shake the bottle a little.
- When that time has passed, you can filter the content. If you want to enhance the aroma more, you can repeat the maceration with new petals and using the same liquid.
The essential oils are substances that are extracted from different parts of the plant (seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, etc.).
Different properties are attributed to it that can benefit in many ways and have a delicious aroma. It is essential that, when buying them, we make sure that they are really good quality essential oils and not artificial essences. An excellent way to do this is to buy the ones that are certified organic.Read:9 science tips to learn anything faster
We especially recommend the following essences, which stand out for their aroma and their health benefits. Remember that it is essential to consult with your doctor or dermatologist about its use. The direct use of essential oil on the body is inadvisable, as it can cause irritations.
- Sweet orange: this oil has properties to fight microbes and relaxing effects.
- Lemon: This essential oil has antiseptic properties.
- Bergamot: can help calm excess energy, relaxes, and helps fight insomnia.
- Peppermint – Peppermint oil is energizing and refreshing, making it ideal for summer. It is slightly stimulating, so it is not recommended in cases of hypertension.
- Lavender: one of the most relaxing oils, ideal for insomnia. It is also credited with benefits for the skin. May soothe recent burns and help heal.
- Geranium: It is believed to be a hormonal regulator and a skin regenerator, ideal for mixing with moisturizers.
How do we use them?
- In a spray bottle, we will put 10 or 15 drops of essential oil for every 50 ml of water, and we will always shake before using.
Natural citrus perfumes
One of the most popular natural perfumes is citrus: orange, tangerine, lemon, lime, or grapefruit.Read:6 recommendations to avoid inconveniences with makeup
Also, these fruits are attributed to relaxing properties and are believed to help improve mood. At home, you can prepare your own citrus fragrances to perfume yourself.
- (50 ml) of water.
- (50 ml) of alcohol.
- Citrus peelings.
- In a mortar, place a cloth that is not very thick.
- Then, put the citrus peels on top and mash them well.
- Once the fabric has been well impregnated with citrus fruits, place it on top of a good funnel and, through it, filter the alcohol first and the water later.
- Finally, let it sit for a couple of days, tightly closed and in the dark, and it is ready to use.
Recommendations for using natural perfumes
These natural perfumes sometimes use ingredients that, although attributed to various beneficial effects, can also cause skin irritation if applied directly to the skin.
In the case of essential oils, they should be mixed beforehand with vegetable oils, water, or creams. Do not forget to consult your dermatologist first, especially if you have any type of skin condition.